Christa Richer Cook
Christa is a labor and employment law attorney who counsels employers in all aspects of labor and employment law. She assists clients in navigating matters involving workforce reductions, internal investigations, workplace diversity, unemployment insurance, workplace harassment, union avoidance, ADA and FMLA compliance, military leave, retaliation, employee discipline and wage and hour issues. Christa has extensive experience advising employers on restrictive covenants (including non-compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements), consumer directed personal assistance program compliance, and affirmative action plan preparation and OFCCP audits. She represents management in collective bargaining, labor arbitrations and union organizing campaigns. Christa also represents and counsels public sector clients on Civil Service Law matters and in interest arbitration proceedings. She has successfully defended clients in unfair labor practice proceedings, collective and class actions under the FLSA, retaliation claims and all types of employment discrimination litigation.
Christa regularly appears before the New York State Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), New York's Public Employment Relations Board (PERB), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the New York State Division of Human Rights, the New York State Department of Education and federal and state courts. Her practice extends across several key industries including retail, health care, higher education, public school districts and municipalities. Christa's practice also includes in-house labor and employment training for employers.
Honors and Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- New York State Women's Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- New York State Association of Management Advocates for School Labor Affairs
- New York State School Boards Association
- Central New York School Boards Association
- Order of the Coif
- Employment: New Challenges in Hiring Practices, Haylor, Freyer & Coon Seminar, 9/22/16
- Transgendered in Central New York: Employer - Legal Do’s and Don’ts, CNY SHRM, 3/22/16
- The Impacts of New Title IX Guidelines on Public Schools Across the Country: Is Your District in Compliance?, Central New York School Boards Association, 3/24/15
- Avoid The Price of Silence - Investigating and Addressing Bullying in the School Environment, New York State Association of Management Advocates for School Labor Affairs 37th Annual Summer Conference, 7/20/14