Lisa A. Christensen
Health and Welfare
With emphasis on health care reform and HIPAA/HITECH, Lisa concentrates her practice in health and welfare benefit plan administration and compliance. Along with HIPAA compliance and training, Lisa regularly assists group health plans and physicians, as well as various business associates, including law firms, with state medical record or other state or federal privacy law compliance.
Lisa has drafted and reviewed plans, amendments and associated documents for all types of employee welfare benefit plans (i.e., health plans, including consumer driven health plans, fringe benefit arrangements, VEBAs, and MEWAs), and assisted MEWAs with state insurance law compliance where such laws are not preempted by ERISA.
Lisa has researched and advised clients on health care issues, ERISA obligations, employment tax issues, and Internal Revenue Code (with emphasis on Section 105(h)), HIPAA/HITECH, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, and USERRA compliance requirements relevant to health and welfare benefit plans and fringe benefit arrangements and regularly drafted and reviewed participant communications. When preparing for Department of Labor plan audits, Lisa has worked with the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, and Health and Human Services to resolve issues.
Retirement and Executive Compensation
With an emphasis on Internal Revenue Code Sections 409A, 162(m) and 280G, Lisa drafts and reviews executive employment, severance, change of control, and top-hat plans. She has drafted and reviewed plans, amendments and associated documents for all types of employee benefit plans (i.e., defined contribution plans, non-qualified deferred compensation plans, stock option arrangements, as well as other incentive compensation and equity arrangements). Lisa prepares voluntary correction filings and self-correction documentation.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Lisa drafts and reviews transaction document language related to employee benefit plans and employee compensation/benefits post-closing, and participates in negotiation of same with the opposing party’s counsel. She regularly conducted due diligence with respect to all benefit plans and advises clients as to plan issues, corrections, terminations, mergers, COBRA obligations and executive compensation matters in connection with the applicable transactions.
Clients also involve Lisa in federal and state payroll tax reporting and corrections, and state and local tax matters.
Honors and Affiliations
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- Order of the Coif
- Notes and Comments Editor, Law and Technology Journal, Fall 1999
- President, College of Law Tax Society, 2001-2002
- Graduate Assistant/Research Assistant, 2001-2002
- Dallas Bar Association, Former Employee Benefits Committee Member
- D Magazine, Best Women Lawyers in Dallas
- Panel Member, Understanding the Risks of Cybersecurity for Your Business, CenterState CEO, 9/29/17
- Panel Member, Cybersecurity Discussion, Upstate New York Healthcare Human Resource Conference, 10/7/16
- Apply Practical Guidance to Successfully Complete a DOL Health Plan Audit, World Health Congress 2016: Employer Health Care Compliance and Cost Strategy Summit, 4/11/16
- Bond In-House Counsel CLE Series, The Seven Deadly Sins of 409A, 2/10/16
- DOL Audits of Employer Health Plans: Preparing for Increased ACA and Mental Health Parity Act Audits, Strafford Publications CLE Webinar, 11/19/15
- Circular 230 Changes, The Year in Employee Benefits: Insights and Strategies for Retirement, Health and Executive Compensation Plans, American Law Institute CLE, 4/8/15
- Eligibility Pitfalls, SouthWest Benefits Association 2015 Plan Administrator Skills Workshop, 2/27/15
- "3rd Circ. Writes A Road Map For Cybersecurity Practices," Law360, 8/26/15
- Director, The Advocates for Upstate Medical University
- VITA Volunteer for Non-Resident Aliens and U.S. Residents
- Brownie and Junior Girl Scout Leader, Green Circle Program Presenter, and True Colors Program Presenter
- Former Pro Bono Small Claims Court Arbitrator
- Former Co-Chair, Hiawatha Seaway Council Legal Explorer Post Program
- Former Director, Central New York Women's Bar Association
- Former Editor, Central New York Women's Bar Association Newsletter