Philip J. Zaccheo
Phil is a business attorney, co-chair of the firm's higher education practice, and a member of the firm’s management committee. He provides general counseling and representation to colleges and universities throughout the United States on a variety of legal issues. Phil has represented institutions in connection with the negotiation, drafting and review of a wide range of contractual arrangements common to colleges and universities, including presidential, administrative and coaches' employment agreements; pouring rights and sponsorship agreements with national beverage companies and similar entities; affinity credit card and similar intellectual property use arrangements; licenses for broadcasting rights; agreements for the use of institutional facilities by outside entities; bookstore, food service and physical plant outsourcing agreements; and various arrangements with institutional vendors and consultants. He has also served as transactional counsel in connection with mergers, acquisitions, affiliations and spin-offs involving colleges, universities, and other tax-exempt organizations.
Phil has particular experience in issues involving for-profit and not-for-profit corporate governance (including charter and bylaw drafting and revision, as well as issues arising in connection with Board proceedings), trustee fiduciary obligations, student disciplinary matters, Title IX compliance, student mental health issues, education record confidentiality, student financial aid issues (including Title IV compliance) and corporate finance (including endowment administration under UPMIFA). He has also represented numerous institutions in connection with federal and state regulatory compliance investigations and reviews, including those pertaining to relationships with lenders, affinity card issuers, student health insurance issuers and other vendors. Phil has served as a guest lecturer at Syracuse University and as an adjunct faculty member at University College of Syracuse University.
Honors and Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2017, Sports Law (listed for 5 years)
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Attorney-Client Privilege in the Committee Setting, National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Conference, 6/24/14
- Editorial Board, Journal of College and University Law
- Advisory Board, Syracuse Area Salvation Army
- Member, Syracuse University Raymond von Dran Innovation and Disruptive Entrepreneurship Accelerator Executive Board