Controller - Syracuse
Date: April 2, 2019
Office: Syracuse, NY
Bond Schoeneck & King is currently accepting applications for a Controller in its Syracuse office. The Controller is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Controller supervises the members of the accounting staff and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Controller will have contact with senior-level Attorneys and the firm’s CFO, COO, and Managing Member which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensuring accurate and timely monthly quarterly and year end close.
- Supporting budget and forecasting activities.
- Calculating profitability analysis on practice groups.
- Monitoring and analyzing department work to develop more efficient procedures while maintaining accuracy.
- Responding to inquiries from CFO and other firm wide managers regarding financial results.
- Supervising general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Assisting in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance workflow of the department.
- Supporting CFO with special projects.
Applicant must have a BA/BS in Accounting, CPA is preferred; 5 to 7 years prior supervisory experience in financial reporting/general ledger; law firm experience or other professional services experience is preferred. Applicant must be PC proficient and thrive in a fast-paced setting. Experience with Aderant, Elite Enterprise, J.D. Edwards or other large automated accounting system a plus. Strong communication, interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure are required. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are an EEO Employer.