Workplace 2016 Upstate
May 10, 2016
Statewide Labor, Employment & HR Conference
The legal and practical issues that employers face have become increasingly complex. Employers need to know the steps they can take to avoid, or at least minimize, the liability associated with their human resource decisions and comply with regulatory requirements. Mindful of this need, we have developed a full-day agenda covering a range of topics. So you can hear about what interests you most, you will have a choice of breakout sessions to choose from. This annual conference is well attended and highly regarded – join us this year.
7:45 - 8:15 a.m.
Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:15 - 8:30 a.m.
Introduction and Welcoming Remarks
8:30 - 9:45 a.m.
9:45 - 10 a.m.
10 - 11 a.m.
What to Expect When You’re Expecting … a DOL Welfare Plan Audit
- Pre-Audit Preparation (aka “Health Plan Compliance 101”)
- Anatomy of a DOL Health Plan Audit
- IRS and HHS Audit Considerations
11 - 11:15 a.m.
11:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Breakout Session 1
Dazed and Confused: Tackling Drug and Alcohol Issues in the Workplace
- Dealing with Employee Medical Marijuana Use
- Updating Drug/Alcohol Use and Testing Policies, Procedures, and Practices
- Navigating Disability Discrimination and Accommodation Concerns
Liar, Liar, Charge on Fire: Fighting Back Against SDHR and EEOC Complaints
- Understanding the Administrative Agency Process
- Tips on What to Do (and Not Do) When Faced With a Discrimination Charge
- Hot Topics for 2016
Ready or Not: Understanding DOL’s Proposed Overtime Rules
- DOL Proposed Overtime Regulations
- Transition Strategies
- DOL Enforcement Issues
12:30 - 1:15 p.m.
1:15 - 2:30 p.m.
Breakout Session 2
Safeguarding Employees’ Data and Protecting Your Data from Employees
- Necessary HR Precautions for Handling Employee Data
- Practical Steps to Educate Your Employees About Cybersecurity
- How to Prepare for Possible Data Breaches
State of the Union: NLRB’s Expanded Impact on Your Workplace
- Status of Employees’ Mandatory Arbitration Agreements
- Common Workplace Policies … Through the NLRB’s Lens
- Joint Employer Issues and NLRB Efforts to Change the Law
The Leave Labyrinth: Strategies for ADA and FMLA Compliance
- Permissible Requests for Medical Information
- Combating Abuse and Taking Lawful Disciplinary Action
- Managing Leaves after FMLA is Exhausted
2:30 - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 - 4 p.m.
The Bond Players Present
You will be prompted to select your two Breakout Sessions during the registration process.
Bond Clients: $140 per person; Other Invitees: $185 per person
10% discount for each additional registration
This event is intended for the invited guests of Bond, Schoeneck & King PLLC. Bond reserves the right to deny admission to any registrant.
Refunds will only be made for cancellations received 5 business days before event.