Bernie advises clients on various matters including business transactions, contracts, real estate and litigation. He is a trusted legal advisor who understands how to translate complex legal issues into practical business terms and fashion common sense solutions to everyday business problems.
Bernie brings a solution-oriented focus to the task of helping clients find answers to complex issues expeditiously, cost effectively and completely.
For the last twenty years Bernie has provided general counsel services to King Kullen Grocery Co., Inc., a Long Island-based company with two subsidiaries, 45 retail locations and over 4,000 employees. Serving as outside general counsel to King Kullen, he has been responsible on a day-to-day basis for corporate transactions, real estate, leasing and litigation, as well as coordinating legal services in areas such as ERISA, intellectual property, risk management and employment matters.
In 1989, Bernie was the founding partner of Kennedy and Gillen, a boutique business law and litigation firm located in Garden City, New York. In addition to King Kullen, Bernie’s firm has represented such clients as Hofstra University, Kimco Realty, Westbury Realty Ventures, Bogopa, Inc. and numerous other corporations and institutions, large and small.
Because of his years of experience representing retail businesses, Bernie is experienced in commercial leasing, particularly shopping center leasing, and represents both landlords and tenants in leasing transactions throughout the metropolitan area. Bernie also represents a growing list of independent supermarket operators throughout New York City in transactional and leasing matters.
Bernie also serves as Acting Labor Counsel and Union Negotiator on behalf of the Village of Williston Park.
Bernie has held various roles in civic and pro bono matters, including the following:
- Serving four years as Trustee in the Village of Williston Park
- Serving on the Board of the Family and Children’s Association and its Executive Committee and Governance Committee
- Serving as Board Chair of the Family and Children’s Association
- Serving as Chair of the New York State Bar Association Committee on Volunteer Lawyers providing pro bono legal services to residents of drug and alcohol rehabilitation facilities
- Serving on the New York State Trial Lawyers advocacy committee providing pro bono legal services to victims of the 9-11 disaster
- Member of the Class of 2012 of Energeia
- Member of the Board of the Point Lookout Civic Association