Bethany concentrates her practice in public sector and labor and employment law. Prior to joining Bond, she served as chief of human capital initiatives for the Rochester City School District and chief labor negotiator, covering employee benefits, risk management, labor relations and professional learning.
Bethany also served as labor and employment counsel for the Rochester City School District, advising it in contract negotiations, labor arbitrations, agency proceedings, Civil Service Law, General Municipal Law, employment discrimination, PERLA, Title IX compliance, policy development, mandatory reporting.
Prior to entering the public sector, Bethany practiced in a large law firm in Rochester, advising numerous public sector clients in and around Monroe County, including school districts, towns, and villages, in all areas of general municipal law and labor and employment law. Bethany advised clients in contract negotiations, labor arbitrations, Article 75 appeals, and representation before State and federal agencies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Public Employment Relations Board, Division of Human Rights, Public Employee Safety and Health Bureau, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and State and federal Departments of Labor.
Honors & Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association
- Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys
- Municipal Employee Relations: NEW ADA, FMLA and FLSA Issues for Local Governments, National Business Institute Seminar - Advanced Legal Issues Affecting Local Governments and Municipalities: The Ultimate Guide, March 22-23, 2017
- Search and Seizure in Public School, Safety & Security for School Personnel Conference, Genesee Valley School Board’s Institute for Staff Development, October 7, 2016
- School and the Transgender Student: The Campaign for Equality, New York State Association of School Attorneys and the New York State School Boards Association 16th Annual School Attorney Law Conference, June 3, 2016
- Personnel Practices from Start to Finish: How to Create Compliant and Effective Personnel Practices, New York State Council for School Superintendents Fall Leadership Summit, September 27, 2015
- Board Accountability and Transparency, Central New York School Boards Association, State Mandated Training for Newly Elected School Board Members, June 6, 2015
- "New Continuing Teacher and Leader Education and Registration Requirements," The Councilgram, June 2015
- "New Student Enrollment Regulations Designed to Protect Unaccompanied Minors and Undocumented Youth," The Councilgram, February 2015
- Finger Lakes Chapter Committee Member, New York State Association for Women Administrators,
- Board of Directors, Greater Brockport Development Corporation, 2007-present
- Board of Directors, Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys, 2003-2005 and 2009-2012
- Board of Directors, Literacy Volunteers of Rochester, 2005-2010
- Board of Directors Vice President, Brockport Symphony Association, 2002-2006
- Executive Committee, Pro Brockport, 2011-2012
- Liaison, Rochester City School District, John Marshal Law Academy, 2005-2010
- Music Chair, Max's Mardi Gras Parade Committee, 2005-2011
- Pro-Bono Counsel - AAUW, Women Helping Girls Program, 2006-2010