Craig’s legal insight improves the quality of care and efficiency for large and small health care providers.
Having experience in both the public and the private sector, Craig provides health care providers with in-depth insight on compliance and transactional matters. Craig assists nursing homes, hospitals, OPWDD provider agencies, behavioral health and medical groups, and individual practitioners on a wide range of issues, including:
- Anti-Kickback and Stark laws
- Credentialing and medical staff issues
- Corporate reorganizations
- Government surveys and audits
- HIPAA compliance/breach protocols
- Internal investigations
- Medical marijuana
- Patient record retention/disclosure
Prior to joining Bond, Schoeneck & King, Craig served as an attorney for both state and local governments. At the Department of Social Services of Steuben County, he resolved issues pertaining to Medicaid, public assistance, and family law. Later, at the New York State Department of Health, Craig was an attorney in the Bureau of Administrative Hearings, where he represented the Commissioner at hearings involving patient protection, nursing home operations, certificates of need, the New York State Medical Indemnity Fund, adult care facilities, and New York State’s WIC Program.
- Advised nursing home facility on telehealth services agreement with hospital to ensure compliant and favorable terms with regard to billing, credentialing, cybersecurity and insurance.
- Guided health care system and affiliates in responding to investigation initiated by the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in response to allegations of various HIPAA violations, resulting in no financial penalties.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements between behavioral health care provider, physician group and administrative services entity to establish “concierge” telehealth services for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Assisted nursing facility in implementation of compliance program, including development of policies and procedures for skilled nursing facility on issues of corporate governance, admissions, discharges, transfers, complaints, visitation and privacy.
- Advised hospital system’s legal counsel and physicians on state and federal requirements related to billing for and supervision of non-licensed physicians in ACGME-approved fellowship programs.
- Provided counsel to university athletic department on contracts with physician groups to identify and correct potential issues related to patient referrals and kickbacks.
- Negotiated terms of a business services agreement between national electronic health records software (EHR) vendor and non-profit, behavioral health care provider and ensured compliance with privacy and data laws, including HIPAA, NY SHIELD Act and GDPR.
- Counseled university mental health clinic on requirements of professional licensure, privacy and security in connection with providing counseling and other services through various telehealth modalities to students and employees in New York and other states.
Health Law Wire
Honors & Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society