Mark is a seasoned intellectual property attorney with an extensive background in driving long-term IP strategy and supporting innovation in the healthcare, information technology, lighting, consumer goods and electronics sectors.
Mark is a strategic advisor to his clients, with comprehensive experience in managing global IP portfolios in alignment with business objectives and guiding business leaders, inventors and entrepreneurs on the strategies, tools and techniques for protecting the fruits of their innovation. As a registered U.S. patent attorney with more than 23 years of experience, both in-house and in private practice, he has drafted and/or prosecuted hundreds of patent and trademark applications and counseled his clients on establishing robust trade secret protection programs.
Mark regularly handles licensing, litigation and open source software matters, as well as negotiates and drafts confidentiality, joint development and strategic partnership agreements, and many other complex business contracts for technology companies. Skilled at assessing IP risks and opportunities, Mark’s contributions have been especially noteworthy in merger and acquisition and equity investment transactions.
An effective communicator, both as a storyteller and listener, he is equally comfortable conversing with C-suite executives, fellow attorneys and research scientists. Mark is passionate about sharing knowledge and best practices and frequently speaks at conferences and symposia.
16+ Years of In-House Counsel Experience
While serving as the Deputy General Counsel, IP at Color Kinetics, the LED lighting pioneer, Mark accelerated patent filings and orchestrated the company’s patent portfolio coverage mapping and validity assessment, increasing the valuation of the company for the imminent acquisition by Philips for ~$800 million.
Mark then spent almost 14 years in leadership roles at Philips Intellectual Property & Standards, supporting various clusters and units globally within the business and research organizations across Royal Philips, N.V. Highlights of his tenure at Philips IP&S include:
- Supporting the successful launch of the patent licensing program for Philips Lighting (now Signify), focused on accelerating LED lighting adoption worldwide;
- Leading the IP protection efforts prior to the commercial launch of several innovative product lines for Philips Consumer Lifestyle, including AirFryer oven, OneBlade shaver and Sonicare DiamondClean electric toothbrush;
- Spearheading the IP strategy development as part of digital transformation of consumer lifestyle and healthcare clusters;
- Serving as the IP business partner and mentor for Philips HealthWorks startup accelerator program, working with more than 70 early-stage companies worldwide over three years; and
- Leading IP due diligence review for the acquisition of or investment in more than a dozen companies by Philips.
Immediately prior to joining Bond, Mark was the head of IP and the assistant general counsel for a NASDAQ-listed public company, where he built the IP function from the ground up and led the IP strategy development.
Private Practice Experience
Prior to going in-house, Mark was an associate at two large general practice law firms in Boston, representing technology clients such as adidas, Boston Scientific, the Charles Stark Draper Laboratory, E-Ink Corporation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and RSA Security in IP matters.