Michelle is an environmental and energy attorney whose practice focuses on matters of state and federal environmental compliance. She has experience navigating the regulatory requirements for programs concerning solid, hazardous, and universal waste; programs for stormwater discharges and SPDES permits; the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ system of nationwide and individual permits; and environmental remediation under the Brownfield Cleanup Program and CERCLA. Michelle has helped to negotiate consent decrees and to complete the tasks required under administrative orders on consent.
In addition, she assists clients in preparing and enhancing environmental health and safety programs, including those required by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. For instance, Michelle has experience drafting hazardous waste contingency plans, emergency action plans, evacuation plans, exposure control plans, and chemical hygiene plans.
Michelle’s practice also extends into matters of land use and zoning, having worked with both municipalities and applicants on development projects. She has advised these municipal clients about the demands of the Freedom of Information Law and the Open Meetings Law as well. Furthermore, Michelle has significant experience in matters involving SEQRA and environmental impact reviews. She has assisted project applicants and reviewing agencies in complying with SEQRA’s requirements.
Honors & Affiliations
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- Order of the Coif
- Business Editor, Syracuse Law Review
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Business Council
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Central New York Women’s Bar Association
- Syracuse University College of Law Dean’s Scholar Award
- "OSHA Update: Changes to Injury and Illness Reporting Requirements," Bond Information Memo, January 27, 2019
- "Updated SEQRA Regulations Became Effective January 1, 2019," Bond Information Memo, January 1, 2019
- "Environmental and Energy and School Districts: Testing Water for Lead Contamination Now Mandatory for New York State Schools - Urgent Deadlines for Compliance Apply," Bond Information Memo, September 11, 2016
- "Environmental and Energy: NYSDEC Proposes New Solid Waste Rules with Critical Changes to Beneficial Use Determinations," Bond Information Memo, July 31, 2016
- "Environmental and Energy and Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation: Do You Operate a Public Water Supply? Why You Need to Know for Sure." Bond Information Memo, April 27, 2016
- "Defining Waters of the United States: The Saga Continues," New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2016
- "Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation: House of Representatives Approves TSCA Reform Bill in Near-Unanimous Vote," Bond Information Memo, June 25, 2015
- "Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation: Toxic Substances Control Act - Reform at Last?" Bond Information Memo, April 9, 2015
- "Obtain Financial Assistance to Install Solar and Wind Energy Systems," Central New York Business Journal, May 2, 2014
- "Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation: Court of Appeals Revisits and Clarifies Causation Requirements for Expert Opinions," Bond Information Memo, April 1, 2014
- Leadership Greater Syracuse, Class of 2020
- Immediate Past Chair, Air and Waste Management Association Central New York Chapter