Nihla focuses her practice on representing employers in labor and employment law matters. She provides advice and counseling on all aspects of employer-employee relations from hire through separation.
Nihla represents employers in labor and employment litigation matters before administrative agencies such as the New York State Department of Labor, New York State Division of Human Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Prior to joining the firm, Nihla spent more than 10 years overseeing the human resources and fiscal functions of a primarily federal funded multi-location non-profit organization and has also worked in human resources management at a large financial institution. This provides her with a unique perspective in providing counseling to her clients as they navigate finding practical solutions to labor and employment matters.
- Society of Human Resources Management, Senior Certified Professional- SHRM-SCP
- Human Resources Certification Institute, Senior Professional Human Resources Certification – SPHR
Honors & Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association
- Member, Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
- Albany County Bar Association
- Sri Lanka Bar Association
- Society for Human Resources Management
- Capital Region Human Resources Association
- Ambalavanar Gold Medal for Tax Law
- Law Journal, Sri Lanka Law College
- Henry J Folsom Award – Best Research Paper
- Kathryn Katz, Kate Stoneman Student Award
- “Managing for Results in Six States: Progress in Over a Decade Demonstrates That Leadership Matters” (with Dr. Maria Aristigueta) Public Performance & Management Review, (Vol. 35, No. 1, September 2011)
- Legal Education in the 21st Century – A Law Student’s Perspective (presented at the Commonwealth Law Education Association conference)
- Former Treasurer and Board Member, Capital Region Human Resources Association (CRHRA)
- Capital Region HR Leadership Program graduate
- Speaker at Albany Business Leader Emerging Group and the UAlbany MBA Program
- Speaker at a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Agency event
- Co-Steward, JazzySun Birthdays (A volunteer project providing birthday parties for homeless and economically disadvantaged children)