Riane draws on her litigation experience to help businesses conceptualize and implement creative risk management strategies to advance their business objectives, and provides a fierce defense in the event of a lawsuit.
Riane focusses primarily on employment litigation and commercial litigation. She litigates cases before federal and state trial and appellate courts and represents clients in proceedings before administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and New York State Division of Human Rights. She also provides advice and counsel on complex workplace issues in an effort to avoid or otherwise mitigate the risk of litigation wherever possible.
Riane most frequently represents clients in matters involving:
- Contract disputes;
- State and federal wage and hour issues;
- Class action lawsuits; and
- Restrictive covenant enforcement.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- New York Super Lawyers 2019®, Upstate New York Rising Star, Employment Litigation: Defense
- 2017 Recipient, NYSBA Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, The Honorable Judith S. Kaye Commercial and Federal Litigation Scholarship
- Associate Editor, Syracuse Law Review
- Justinian Honor Society
- Played an instrumental role in securing a seven-figure stipulated judgment in a complex commercial arbitration over a former business owner’s continuous breaches of non-competition and non-solicitation obligations and pervasive spoliation of evidence.
- Secured summary dismissal of a religious discrimination case against a small business in the United States District Court for the Western District of New York.
- Successfully appealed an adverse summary judgment ruling in a complex breach of contract case and later got the case dismissed in New York State Supreme Court. A subsequent appeal of the decision was unanimously dismissed by a five-judge appellate panel at the Appellate Division, Fourth Department.
- Secured unanimous dismissal of breach of contract and fraud-based claims against a prominent medical malpractice insurer before a five-judge appellate panel at the Appellate Division, Fourth Department.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement in a political affiliation discrimination case against a large public sector client.
- Obtained a no probable cause determination from the New York State Division of Human Rights in a complex case alleging disability discrimination against a large banquet facility and provided advice and counsel to the client throughout the process with respect to managing the complainant employee.
- Currently defending a number of businesses in ongoing employment discrimination, retaliation, and wage and hour lawsuits in Federal Court and before the New York State Division of Human Rights.
- Changes to NYS Human Rights Law, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 24, 2019
- Confronting and Controlling Pay Equity Risks for New York Employers, Bond, Schoeneck & King Fall Breakfast Briefing, Buffalo, New York, October 8, 2019
- Gender Identity and Expression Workplace Issues, Bond Schoeneck & King Workplace 2019, Buffalo, New York, June 13, 2019
- Taking the Lead 2019: Winning Strategies and Techniques for Commercial Cases, New York State Bar Association CLE, March 12, 2019
- Practical Tips and Ethical Considerations for Client Representation in the Digital Age: Attorney Advertising & Social Media, University at Buffalo School of Law & the Law Alumni Association’s GOLD Group CLE, February 6, 2019
- Age Discrimination: Top Issues for Employers, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 16, 2018
- Non-Competition and Trade Secrets, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 17, 2017
- Documenting the Employment Relationship: From Offer Letter to Termination, Bond, Schoeneck & King Workplace 2017
- Exploring the Ethical Implications of Social Media Use: Lessons to be Learned from the 2017 Updated NYSBA Social Media Ethics Guidelines, New York State Bar Association CLE, September 18, 2017
- EEOC/SDHR, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 18, 2016
- Safeguarding Employees’ Data and Protecting Your Data from Employees, Bond, Schoeneck & King Workplace 2016
- FERPA Training, New York State Organization of Bursars & Business Administrators 2016 Annual Conference, June 13, 2016
- Emerging Attorney, Buffalo Business First, February 4, 2019, https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2019/02/04/emerging-attorney-riane-lafferty.html
- Riane F. Lafferty and Sharon M. Porcellio, “Noteworthy Reminders on Venue and Preliminary Injunction,” New York Law Journal Western District Roundup, July 22, 2016.
- Charles D. Grieco and Riane F. Lafferty, “Hospitality: New Regulations for Tipped Employees in the Hospitality Industry,” New York State Brewers Association Blog, January 4, 2016.
- Riane F. Lafferty, “Workin' on our Nite Moves: A Pole-Arized Application of a Sales Tax Exemption to Exotic Dance,” 64 Syracuse L. Rev. 171, 2014.
- Co-Chair of the Civil Litigation Committee for the Women's Bar Association of the State of New York, Western New York Chapter
- Member of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association
- Member of the Bar Association of Erie County
- Buffalo Niagara Partnership Diversity & Inclusion Council
- Leadership Buffalo, Rising Leader Class of 2018