Riane helps clients to conceptualize and implement creative risk-management initiatives to advance their business objectives, and provides a fierce defense in the event that a legal challenge is presented.
She represents private and public sector clients in a broad range of commercial and employment law matters. Her work includes commercial and employment litigation before federal and state trial and appellate courts, and before administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and New York State Division of Human Rights.
Riane defends clients in legal matters involving:
- Contract disputes,
- Retaliation, and
- State and federal wage and hour laws.
She also provides advice and counsel to employers on compliance issues involving federal and state employment laws, including:
- Title VII,
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA),
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA),
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA),
- The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and
- The New York State Human Rights Law.
Honors & Affiliations
- 2017 Recipient, NYSBA Federal and Commercial Litigation Section, The Honorable Judith S. Kaye Commercial and Federal Litigation Scholarship
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Associate Editor, Syracuse Law Review
- Justinian Honor Society
- Investigated, defended and subsequently achieved summary dismissal of a number of disability discrimination cases against private sector clients before the New York State Division of Human Rights.
- Played an instrumental role in negotiating a favorable settlement in a political affiliation discrimination case against a large public sector client in federal court.
- Successfully appealed a summary judgment ruling against a private sector client in a complex breach of contract case and later secured summary dismissal of the complaint in New York State Supreme Court.
- Reviewed and revised a number of employee handbooks.
- Currently defending a number of employers in employment discrimination, harassment and/or retaliation litigations and administrative proceedings.
- Non-Competition and Trade Secrets, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 17, 2017
- Documenting the Employment Relationship: From Offer Letter to Termination, Bond, Schoeneck & King Workplace 2017
- Panel Member, Exploring the Ethical Implications of Social Media Use: Lessons to be Learned from the 2017 Updated NYSBA Social Media Ethics Guidelines, New York State Bar Association CLE, September 18, 2017
- EEOC/SDHR, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 18, 2016
- Safeguarding Employees’ Data and Protecting Your Data from Employees, Bond, Schoeneck & King Workplace 2016
- FERPA Training, New York State Organization of Bursars & Business Administrators 2016 Annual Conference, June 13, 2016
- Riane F. Lafferty and Sharon M. Porcellio, “Noteworthy Reminders on Venue and Preliminary Injunction,” New York Law Journal Western District Roundup, July 22, 2016.
- Charles D. Grieco and Riane F. Lafferty, “Hospitality: New Regulations for Tipped Employees in the Hospitality Industry,” New York State Brewers Association Blog, January 4, 2016.
- Riane F. Lafferty, “Workin' on our Nite Moves: A Pole-Arized Application of a Sales Tax Exemption to Exotic Dance,” 64 Syracuse L. Rev. 171, 2014.
- New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section
- Bar Association of Erie County, Young Lawyers Committee
- Volunteer Tutor, Lawyers for Learning
- Leadership Buffalo, Rising Leader Class of 2018