Riane helps clients conceptualize and implement creative risk management strategies to advance their business objectives and provides a fierce defense in the event of a lawsuit.
Her work primarily includes commercial and employment litigation before federal and state trial and appellate courts and before administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and New York State Division of Human Rights. She also provides advice and counsel to businesses on compliance with federal and state laws.
Riane most frequently represents clients in matters involving:
- Contract disputes,
- Restrictive covenant enforcement,
- Retaliation, and
- Wage and hour issues.
Honors & Affiliations
- 2017 Recipient, NYSBA Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, The Honorable Judith S. Kaye Commercial and Federal Litigation Scholarship
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Associate Editor, Syracuse Law Review
- Justinian Honor Society
- Investigated, defended and achieved summary dismissal of a number of discrimination claims before the New York State Division of Human Rights.
- Played an instrumental role in negotiating a favorable settlement in a political affiliation discrimination case against a large public sector client in federal court.
- Successfully appealed a summary judgment ruling in a complex breach of contract case and later secured dismissal of the complaint in New York State Supreme Court.
- Secured unanimous dismissal of breach of contract and fraud-based claims against a prominent medical malpractice insurer before a five-judge appellate panel.
- Currently defending a number of employers in employment discrimination and retaliation litigations.
- Non-Competition and Trade Secrets, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 17, 2017
- Documenting the Employment Relationship: From Offer Letter to Termination, Bond, Schoeneck & King Workplace 2017
- Panel Member, Exploring the Ethical Implications of Social Media Use: Lessons to be Learned from the 2017 Updated NYSBA Social Media Ethics Guidelines, New York State Bar Association CLE, September 18, 2017
- EEOC/SDHR, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 18, 2016
- Safeguarding Employees’ Data and Protecting Your Data from Employees, Bond, Schoeneck & King Workplace 2016
- FERPA Training, New York State Organization of Bursars & Business Administrators 2016 Annual Conference, June 13, 2016
- Riane F. Lafferty and Sharon M. Porcellio, “Noteworthy Reminders on Venue and Preliminary Injunction,” New York Law Journal Western District Roundup, July 22, 2016.
- Charles D. Grieco and Riane F. Lafferty, “Hospitality: New Regulations for Tipped Employees in the Hospitality Industry,” New York State Brewers Association Blog, January 4, 2016.
- Riane F. Lafferty, “Workin' on our Nite Moves: A Pole-Arized Application of a Sales Tax Exemption to Exotic Dance,” 64 Syracuse L. Rev. 171, 2014.
- New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section
- Bar Association of Erie County, Young Lawyers Committee
- Leadership Buffalo, Rising Leader Class of 2018