Riane draws on her litigation experience to help employers develop and implement strategies to manage risk while advancing their business objectives.
Riane works in both the firm’s litigation and labor & employment departments.
In her labor & employment practice, Riane provides EEO training for supervisors and employees, conducts workplace investigations and provides advice and counsel on day-to-day workplace issues including policy administration, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, managing employee leaves of absence and wage and hour compliance. She also has experience representing management in traditional labor law matters including labor arbitrations and collective bargaining.
In her litigation practice, Riane litigates cases before federal and state trial and appellate courts and represents clients in proceedings before administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), New York State Division of Human Rights and National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). She is also a proponent of using alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and represents clients in mediations and binding arbitrations where appropriate. Riane has been involved in all aspects of litigation including preparing pleadings, conducting discovery, motion practice, settlement negotiations, trials and appeals. She most frequently litigates matters involving:
- State and federal wage and hour issues;
- Restrictive covenant enforcement;
- Contract disputes; and
- Class action lawsuits.
Events and Webinars
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch, Labor and Employment Law - Management; Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2021
- New York Super Lawyers 2020®, Upstate New York Rising Star, Employment Litigation: Defense
- 2017 Recipient, NYSBA Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, The Honorable Judith S. Kaye Commercial and Federal Litigation Scholarship
- New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Section
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Women's Bar Association of the State of New York, Western New York Chapter
- Justinian Honor Society
- Editor, Syracuse Law Review
- Played an instrumental role in securing a seven-figure stipulated judgment in a JAMS commercial arbitration involving a former business owner’s continuous breaches of non-competition and non-solicitation obligations and pervasive spoliation of evidence.
- Secured summary dismissal of a religious discrimination case against a small business in the United States District Court for the Western District of New York.
- Successfully appealed an adverse summary judgment ruling in a complex breach of contract action and later secured dismissal of the case in New York State Supreme Court. The dismissal was unanimously upheld by a five-judge appellate panel at the Appellate Division, Fourth Department.
- Obtained a no probable cause determination from the New York State Division of Human Rights in a complex disability discrimination case against a large banquet facility and assisted the client throughout the process with managing the complainant employee.
- Secured unanimous dismissal of breach of contract and fraud-based claims against a prominent medical malpractice insurer before a five-judge appellate panel at the Appellate Division, Fourth Department.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement in a political affiliation discrimination case against a large public sector client.
- Currently defending several ongoing employment discrimination, retaliation, and wage and hour class action lawsuits in Federal Court and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and New York State Division of Human Rights.
- Changes to NYS Human Rights Law, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 24, 2019
- Confronting and Controlling Pay Equity Risks for New York Employers, Bond, Schoeneck & King Fall Breakfast Briefing, Buffalo, New York, October 8, 2019
- Gender Identity and Expression Workplace Issues, Bond Schoeneck & King Workplace 2019, Buffalo, New York, June 13, 2019
- Taking the Lead 2019: Winning Strategies and Techniques for Commercial Cases, New York State Bar Association CLE, March 12, 2019
- Practical Tips and Ethical Considerations for Client Representation in the Digital Age: Attorney Advertising & Social Media, University at Buffalo School of Law & the Law Alumni Association’s GOLD Group CLE, February 6, 2019
- Age Discrimination: Top Issues for Employers, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 16, 2018
- Non-Competition and Trade Secrets, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 17, 2017
- Documenting the Employment Relationship: From Offer Letter to Termination, Bond, Schoeneck & King Workplace 2017
- Exploring the Ethical Implications of Social Media Use: Lessons to be Learned from the 2017 Updated NYSBA Social Media Ethics Guidelines, New York State Bar Association CLE, September 18, 2017
- EEOC/SDHR, Bond Schoeneck & King Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Buffalo, New York, October 18, 2016
- Safeguarding Employees’ Data and Protecting Your Data from Employees, Bond, Schoeneck & King Workplace 2016
- FERPA Training, New York State Organization of Bursars & Business Administrators 2016 Annual Conference, June 13, 2016
- Emerging Attorney, Buffalo Business First, February 4, 2019, https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2019/02/04/emerging-attorney-riane-lafferty.html
- Riane F. Lafferty and Sharon M. Porcellio, “Noteworthy Reminders on Venue and Preliminary Injunction,” New York Law Journal Western District Roundup, July 22, 2016.
- Charles D. Grieco and Riane F. Lafferty, “Hospitality: New Regulations for Tipped Employees in the Hospitality Industry,” New York State Brewers Association Blog, January 4, 2016.
- Riane F. Lafferty, “Workin' on our Nite Moves: A Pole-Arized Application of a Sales Tax Exemption to Exotic Dance,” 64 Syracuse L. Rev. 171, 2014.
- Buffalo Niagara Partnership Diversity & Inclusion Council
- Leadership Buffalo, Rising Leader Class of 2018