Robert is an environmental law attorney. His principal areas of experience include water pollution, SEQRA and environmental impact review, real estate development, including the remediation and redevelopment of brownfields and municipal law.
Robert has experience in the field of stormwater pollution having drafted the manual for local financing of the new MS4 program. He represents three county sewer districts and has addressed a variety of issues related to wet weather flows.
Robert handles cases concerning hazardous substances and petroleum spills, both in the context of enforcement and of contaminated property redevelopment. That practice includes litigation under both state and federal courts.
Robert is the author of the firm's Planning and Zoning Case Law Quarterly Update as well as the Annual Review. He represents and appears before and Planning and Zoning Boards, DEC and other state agencies on real estate development matters. Robert's practice includes representation in administrative hearings as well as judicial review in the context of Article 78 proceedings.
Robert has counseled municipalities on a number of governance issues, including the adoption of intermunicipal agreements and the formation of special districts.
Prior to joining the firm, Robert served in several capacities at the DEC, including Assistant Commissioner; Assistant Counsel for Energy; Assistant Counsel for Solid and Hazardous Waste. For over eight years, he was the sole or principal author of every agency decision issued after administrative hearing and was the confidential counsel to the Commissioner.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2018, Environmental Law; Litigation - Environmental (listed for 10 years)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Land Use and Zoning
- New York State Bar Association, Executive Committee and Chair, Environmental Business Transactions Committee, Environmental and Energy Law Section (1995-present)
- Federal Bar
- Examining the Role of County Government in Local Government Consolidation, The County Attorneys' Association of the State of New York 2017 Annual Meeting, May 23, 2017
- Planning Board Overview, Saratoga County Planning & Zoning Conference 2015, January 28, 2015
- "Financing Brownfield Redevelopment," Albany Law Environmental Outlook, Summer/Fall 1996
- Chapter Author, "Treatise on New York State Environmental Law," Lawyers Coop, 1996
- "Clean Production: Environmental and Economic Perspectives, Environmental Disclosure and the U.S. Securities Laws," Springer-Verlag, 1996
- "Environmental Disclosure under the Securities Laws," Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review, Winter 1995
- "Total Quality Environmental Management and Performance Evaluation Techniques," Journal of Corporate Environmental Strategy, Spring 1995
- "DEC's New Hearing Rules," Environmental Law in New York, April 1994
- "The Securities and Exchange Commission and Environmental Disclosure," Journal of Cleaner Production, June 1993
- Chapter Author, "Treatise on New York Environmental Law," New York State Bar Association, 1992
- "A Survey of the Proposed New Hearing Regulations," New York State Bar Association, Environmental Section Journal, November 1991
- "Procedural Issues Associated with Environmental Litigation," Current Issues in Environmental Litigation, November 1990
- "The Penalty Policies of NYSDEC," New York State Bar Association Environmental Section Journal, November 1989
- "Environmental Protection in the Third World," New York State Bar Association Environmental Section Journal, May 1989
- "New SEQR Regulations and Non-Lead Agency Decisionmaking," New York State Bar Association Environmental Section Journal, November 1988