Sarah is a higher education attorney in the firm's labor and employment department. She provides legal counsel to colleges and universities, fostering informed decision-making and creative problem-solving in all areas of institutional operation, instruction, research and administration.
Sarah advises college and university administrators on the myriad of unique legal issues that arise in the academy: issues ranging from faculty and staff labor relations, academic freedom and free speech, compliance with complex state and federal regulations, institutional governance and discrimination and harassment in both the employment and student affairs contexts. With more than ten years of experience in higher education, she is sensitive to the distinctive character of colleges and universities as well as the broad range of constituency groups they serve.
Sarah is a frequent presenter at both regional and national conferences on the law of higher education. Prior to joining Bond, she served as General Counsel and Vice President of Governors State University, a regional public university in south suburban Chicago. She has held in-house positions at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, and at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey.
Honors & Affiliations
- New York City Bar Association, Minorities in the Profession Committee
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association Pro Bono Service Award, 2016
- Co-author, Leadership and Empowerment: Working to Make Change. In Galura, Pasque, Schoem, & Howard, Eds. Praxis IV: Engaging the Whole of Service-Learning, Diversity, and Learning Communities. Ann Arbor: OCSL Press at the University of Michigan.
- Reopening Legal Issues Roundtable, Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities, June 4, 2020
- Legal Issues in Higher Education, Higher Education Leadership Symposium, 2019
- #OFFEND #UPLIFT #HATE #LOVE: Blurred Lines as Both Public and Private Universities Navigate the Costs of Free Speech, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2018
- Managing the Complexities of Investigations, College and University Professional Association for Human Resources Annual Conference, 2016
- Title IX Compliance, Michigan Student Financial Aid Association, 2016
- Discriminating Taste: Diversity from Admission and Financial Aid Through Development and Alumni Relations, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2015
- Common Pitfalls in Student Sexual Assault Hearings, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2014
- FMLA Update, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2012
- Foundation for Women and Girls with Blood Disorders, Board Member,
- Lawyers Alliance for New York, Pro Bono Volunteer