With more than ten years' experience working as both in-house labor and employment counsel and a solo general counsel, Sarah understands the importance of context. She prides herself in providing clients with timely, pragmatic advice informed by thoughtful consideration of their unique operational needs.
Sarah specializes in labor and employment law, including traditional labor, employment discrimination and complex compliance issues. She counsels public and private sector employers in every aspect of employment law, including union negotiations, arbitrations, disability and leave issues; discipline and discharge decisions; employment policies; workplace safety; workplace violence; and claims of discrimination, retaliation, unfair pay, harassment and defamation.
Honors & Affiliations
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association Pro Bono Service Award, 2016
- Co-author, Leadership and Empowerment: Working to Make Change. In Galura, Pasque, Schoem, & Howard, Eds. Praxis IV: Engaging the Whole of Service-Learning, Diversity, and Learning Communities. Ann Arbor: OCSL Press at the University of Michigan.
- Legal Issues in Higher Education, Higher Education Leadership Symposium, 2019
- #OFFEND #UPLIFT #HATE #LOVE: Blurred Lines as Both Public and Private Universities Navigate the Costs of Free Speech, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2018
- Managing the Complexities of Investigations, College and University Professional Association for Human Resources Annual Conference, 2016
- Title IX Compliance, Michigan Student Financial Aid Association, 2016
- Discriminating Taste: Diversity from Admission and Financial Aid Through Development and Alumni Relations, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2015
- Common Pitfalls in Student Sexual Assault Hearings, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2014
- FMLA Update, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2012
- Board Member, Foundation for Women and Girls with Blood Disorders
- Pro Bono Volunteer, Lawyers Alliance for New York