Regulatory Compliance & Defense
Steve has represented clients before state and federal regulatory agencies including, among others, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Steve is well-versed in state and federal health and safety regulations, and has handled enforcement matters before OSHA and the New York State Department of Labor for a broad array of industries such as the healthcare, manufacturing, food distribution and retail and asbestos remediation industries.
Steve has addressed compliance and enforcement matters arising under all major state and federal environmental laws. Such matters frequently require the preparation of applications and representation at administrative hearings for complex regulatory permits, defending enforcement proceedings and negotiating consent orders and oil spill stipulation agreements.
Events and Webinars
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021, Land Use and Zoning Law; Litigation - Land Use and Zoning (listed for more than 10 years)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- Associate Member, Upstate New York Chapter, NAIOP / Commercial Real Estate Development Association.
- Moderator, OSHA Penalizes Multiple Employers in the Same Workplace: Construction & Non-Construction Sites, Employment Law Alliance, October 7, 2020
- COVID-19 @ Work: Straight Talk Series - Session I: Workplace Safety and OSHA Regulations, Employment Law Alliance, May 6, 2020
- New York’s Brownfield Cleanup Program - 2015 Legislative Reforms, Air & Waste Management Association 2016 Annual Seminar, January 27, 2016
- Overview of Clean Air Act, Risk Management Planning and Enforcement, NYS Chemistry Council 2016 Policy Conference, January 26, 2016
- "New Plan to Shape Waterfront Development," Buffalo Business First, September 14, 2018
- "Will Recent State Air Toxics Amendments Burden Concrete Batch Plants?," Material Matters, The Official Publication of the New York Construction Materials Association Inc., Spring 2016
- Board Member, SPCA Serving Erie County
- Chair, Private Sector Council, One Region Forward
- Programming Committee, Urban Land Institute
- Executive Committee, Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, 2002-2008