Terry's practice includes collective bargaining, arbitration, employment discrimination and litigation, wage-hour matters, ERISA and OSHA.
He has represented some of the largest municipalities in the State of New York, e.g., Nassau and Westchester Counties, and the cities of Yonkers, Mount Vernon and Buffalo. Terry has represented over 20 school districts, including Yonkers, and regularly handles "high profile" disciplinary proceedings, including an Education Law §3020-a case with the highest fine ($100,000) in the history of the State. He also has represented private sector clients in negotiations and litigation throughout the United States and has extensive experience in the printing, record, service and restaurant industries. He currently is labor counsel to Pace University.
Terry was one of eight editors of the first text on Public Sector Labor Law published by the New York State Bar Association. He also co-authored with E. J. McMahon from the prestigious Empire Center for New York State Policy - a project of the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research - an in-depth analysis of 40 years of the Taylor Law and its effects in New York State. The publication is entitled, Taylor Made: The Cost and Consequences of New York's Public Sector Labor Law. Terry is a frequent speaker and has authored numerous articles published in law reviews and labor law journals. He is on leave as an adjunct professor at St. John's University School of Law where he has taught public sector labor law for many years.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- Best Lawyers’ 2018 Long Island Labor Law - Management Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers’ 2017 Long Island Employment Law - Management Lawyer of the Year
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2018, Employment Law - Management; Labor Law - Management; Litigation - Labor and Employment (listed for 10 years)
- Long Island Business News, 2016 Leadership in Law Honoree
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- New York Super Lawyers 2017®, Employment & Labor (listed for 10 years)
- Who's Who in Labor Law 2014
- New York State Bar Association, Executive Board, Labor and Employment Law Section
- St. Thomas More Scholar (Full Law School Tuition Scholarship)
- Arbitrators Review, New York State Public Employer Labor Relations Association, Inc., 41st Annual Training Conference, July 23, 2015
- Public Sector Interest Arbitration: An Overview of the New Amendments to the Taylor Law, Thoughts on their Impact and Other Possible Improvements, Labor and Employment Relations Association - NYC Chapter, October 24, 2013
- Judicial Review of PERB (Public Employement Relations Board) and Public Sector Arbitration Decisions, NYSBA Labor & Employment Law Section Fall Meeting, Niagara Falls, Canada, October 4, 2013
- Quoted in "Long Beach, Garden City reduce number of paid firefighters," Long Island Business Journal, June 5, 2016
- Executive Committee, Board of Advisors, Center for Labor and Employment Law, St. John's University
- Past President, NY State Public Employer Labor Relations Association