Tom serves as co-chair of the firm's toxic tort and environmental litigation practice. He has been recognized for his knowledge and experience in environmental litigation. Tom handles litigation over remediation costs, damages and penalties related to releases of hazardous substances and petroleum and concerning the proper management of hazardous or toxic materials.
He has litigated environmental cases involving federal statutes such as CERCLA, RCRA, the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act, and New York statutes such as the Environmental Conservation Law, Navigation Law and Labor Law, as well as claims arising under common law.
Tom also defends toxic tort claims, including claims for personal injury or illness, fear of future harm and medical monitoring, and claims for property damage or diminution in property value arising from contamination. The cases he has handled have involved a variety of pollutants and toxic substances, including volatile and semi-volatile organic compounds, PCBs, petroleum, pesticides, lead and other metals, asbestos and crystalline silica. Tom has represented clients in a variety of industries, including manufacturers of hair care products, automotive components, carbonless copy paper and other paper products, plastics, pesticides, electrical components and filtration products, petroleum distributors and retailers and institutions of higher education.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2018, Litigation - Environmental (listed for 10 years)
- Best Lawyers' 2017 Syracuse Litigation - Environmental Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers' 2013 Syracuse Litigation - Environmental Lawyer of the Year
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources
- New York Super Lawyers 2017®, Environmental Litigation
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section; Environment, Energy and Resources Section
- New York State Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Section; Environmental and Energy Law Section; Torts, Insurance, and Compensation Law Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Grievance Committee
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- What Does a Reformed TSCA Mean for Private Rights of Action Under State Law?, New York State Bar Association Environmental Law Section 2017 Annual Meeting, January 26-27, 2017
- Lautenberg Chemical Safety Act / EPA Update, New York State Chemical Council 2017 Annual Policy and Legislative Meeting, January 24, 2017
- Environmental Update: First Energy, CERCLA Liability and Bankruptcy Issues, Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association, Inc., November 5, 2015
- Thomas R. Smith and Richard L. Weber, “Regulatory Corner,” NYS Chemistry Council Newsletter, March 2017
- Quoted in “Court affirms pro-plaintiff NYCAL ruling,” Legal Newsline, August 9, 2016
- Quoted in “Buffalo verdict upheld in asbestos case,” Buffalo Law Journal, August 1, 2016
- Board of Trustees, Fairmount Community Church
- Endowment Fund Committee, Fairmount Community Church