Title IX in Athletics 50 Years Later: Still a Ways to Go - Complimentary Webinar
June 21, 2022
The Higher Education and Collegiate Sports practices of Bond invite you to a discussion of Title IX on its 50th anniversary with keynote speaker Valerie Ackerman, Commissioner of the Big East Conference and founding president of the WNBA, and closing speaker Kristen Thorsness, a 1984 Olympic gold medalist, attorney and arbitrator for the international Court of Arbitration for Sport. The conversation is in support of Bond’s commitment to unlimited achievement for women in the legal profession and business world.
The Playing Field
Presented by: Val Ackerman and Rick Evrard
A conversation regarding the breadth of opportunities for women in collegiate athletics:
- How times have changed;
- What barriers still exist; and
- What needs to happen to realize the vision of Title IX.
The Back Office
Presented by: Monica Barrett and Sarah Luke
Together Monica and Sarah will talk about the practicalities of compliance with Title IX and other civil rights laws and NCAA regulations impacting athletics, such as:
- Sexual harassment training requirements;
- Overview of recent case law of Title IX gender equity in athletics matters;
- The deep dive when the U.S. Department of Education knocks on your door to check compliance with equity in athletics; and
- Transgender student participation in athletics.
The Record Books
Presented by: Kristen Thorsness and Laura Harshbarger
Join us for a closing, inspiring conversation with Olympic gold medalist and attorney Kristen Thorsness, who will share her insights on the ways in which Title IX remains vital and relevant to advance women well beyond the sporting field.
June 21, 2022 | 2 - 3:30 p.m.
Complimentary Zoom Webinar
Attending this program live provides 1.5 NY CLE Diversity, Inclusion and Elimination of Bias credits.