With vast experience representing employers in employment-related matters, Jim has established himself as a valued partner to his clients. He represents both public and private sector organizations, including higher education institutions.
Jim’s higher education practice focuses on employment discrimination, labor and employment law, labor contract administration, representation before the National Labor Relations Board and employer counseling.
Additionally, Jim has experience in wide variety of employment litigation matters, including discrimination, harassment and breach of contract claims. He has also negotiated numerous collective bargaining agreements for college and university clients.
In addition to his labor and employment practice, Jim oversees the Buffalo office as its managing member and is a frequent lecturer on labor and employment law issues.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2020, Employment Law - Management
- Buffalo Business First, 2019 Legal Elite of Western New York, 2017-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- Top-Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment Law
- New York Super Lawyers 2019®, Employment and Labor (listed for more than 10 years)
- American Bar Association, Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Erie County Bar Association
- Senior Editor, Boston College International and Comparative Law Review
- New York State Paid Family Leave Law, Lumsden McCornick 22nd Annual Exempt Conference, November 17, 2016
- New Developments in Religious Discrimination, Labor and Employment Relations Association, September 2010
- Public Sector Employment Law, Association of Towns of the State of New York, January 2010 and January 2008
- Reductions in Force, Bond, Schoeneck & King Seminar Series, October 2009
- Hiring and Background Checks, Orleans Manufacturing Council, May 2008
- Family and Medical Leave Act, Lorman Education Services Seminars, April 2006
- Co-Host, 10th Annual Labor Law Symposium, Erie County Bar Association, June 2005
- The Most Important Contract You Will Ever Negotiate . . . Your Retainer Agreement, New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section Annual Meeting, January 2005
- Managing Labor Law Issues for Mergers and Acquisitions, New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section Fall Meeting, October 2004
- Employee Discharge and Documentation, Lorman Education Services Seminars, June 2003
- Legal Issues in the High-Tech Economy, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, December 2001
- Basic Employment Law, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, February 2001
- Sexual Harassment, Lorman Education Services Seminar, 2000
- Wage and Hour Laws, Lorman Education Services Seminar, 1999
- Quoted in "Threat to public-sector unions in SCOTUS decision on Janus," Buffalo Law Journal, July 10, 2018
- "Courts grapple with scope of civil rights laws," Buffalo Law Journal, June 19, 2017
- Quoted in “Transgender student policies not new in WNY,” Buffalo Business First, August 26, 2016
- "Employers: Beware of unemployment insurance reform in New York," HR.BLR.com, Colin Leonard and James Rooney, December 13, 2013
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Heritage Centers
- Board Member, The Arc Erie County New York
- Board of Directors, Heritage-Oak Foundation, Inc., 2007-2010
- Volunteer, Friends of Night People