The M. Catherine Richardson Clerkship Program
Bond, Schoeneck & King offers The M. Catherine Richardson Clerkship Program, open to 1L law student applicants. The purpose of The M. Catherine Richardson Clerkship Program is to provide meaningful law firm experience to aspiring law students who bring diversity to the legal profession.
The clerkship runs for ten to twelve weeks. One applicant will be selected for each year, which will be for one of Bond’s New York offices (Syracuse, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, New York City, White Plains or Garden City). It is anticipated that the clerkship will require approximately 40 hours per week. This is a paid position.
- The applicant must be a full-time student in good standing in his/her first year of law school at an ABA accredited law school
- The applicant must be a member of an underrepresented group.
- The applicant must have demonstrated good academic performance.
- Immediate family or household members of Bond, Schoeneck & King members and employees are ineligible.
- The 2022 application period has closed. Details regarding the 2023 clerkship will be posted later this year. In the meantime, please direct any questions to Kim Wolf Price, Attorney Professional Development and Diversity Officer or Kelly Capozzi, Legal Recruiter.
- Official first-year law school transcript (which may be only the fall semester). If applicant’s grades are not available by January 21, 2022, they may be submitted later.
- Current resume (which must include undergraduate GPA or class standing).
- A typed personal statement of 1,000 words or less. The statement should include an explanation of all of the following: (1) your professional aspirations as a lawyer; (2) the way in which you offer diversity to the legal profession; and (3) your connection to and/or interest in practicing in any of our New York State offices.
Bond will review applications and select the successful applicant. The Firm may or may not ask applicants to participate in an interview. In addition to academic achievement, an important factor on which selection decisions will be based is the student’s interest in practicing in any of our New York State offices. Please note that the student will be responsible for providing his/her own lodging for the duration of the 2022 clerkship.
Bond is a firm of 275 attorneys serving private and public sector clients and individuals in a broad range of practice areas. Bond has offices across New York State, including New York City, White Plains, Garden City and Melville; Naples and West Palm Beach, Florida; Red Bank, New Jersey and Kansas City. We represent clients from across the nation in a variety of practice areas including employee benefits, intellectual property, labor, higher education, business, litigation and NCAA compliance.
Future Employment with Bond
The M. Catherine Richardson Clerkship Program is entirely separate and apart from Bond’s hiring process. A student selected for The M. Catherine Richardson Clerkship Program is not guaranteed future employment with Bond, Schoeneck & King, nor employment with us as a 2L summer clerk. However, one of our goals is to become acquainted with diverse law students who may be interested in applying for our 2L summer clerk program or employment with us after graduation. Therefore, we encourage clerkship applicants, whether selected for the M. Catherine Richardson Clerkship or not, to apply for our 2L summer clerk program. Please be advised that our 2L summer clerk program has a separate application process. An application for The M. Catherine Richardson Clerkship Program is not considered an application for our 2L summer clerk program or any other employment with Bond, Schoeneck & King.