CNY Sixth Annual Best Practices for Nonprofits Conference (10/30/08)
September 2, 2008
Bond, Schoeneck & King, PLLC, bmc (Beard Miller Company LLP), Central New York Community Foundation, Inc., and United Way of CNY
Who Should Attend
Not-for-Profit Executive Staff and Board Members
7:45 a.m.-8:15 a.m.
Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:15 a.m.-9:00 a.m.
Nonprofits Being Profitable
- The future of leadership and funding
- The Social Enterprise continuum
- Re-engineering for Community Capacity
- Strategic Business Planning for the Nonprofit Sector
- William Dessingue, Jr.
Charitable Venture Foundation
9:10 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
Concurrent Session 1
How a Nonprofit has Successfully Generated Income
- Tax Term or a Business
- Infusing the Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Rebuild, Reinvent, Growth, and Expansion
- Innovation -- It's the Key to Success
- Robert Daino
Pitfalls of Service- Lessons Learned from Not-for-Profit Executive Liability Claims
- Learn about recent trends in claims and suits brought against Not-for-Profit organizations and their leadership
- Determine if your organization has the right (or enough!) Directors and Officers coverage in place
- Identify ways to prevent claims from happening
- Mary Beth DiBacco, AVP, CPCU
Aaron Goldstein, Esq. (Ron)
Chubb & Sons, Inc.
The Evolving Theory of Harassment: Are You Doing Everything You Can to Defend Against Harassment Claims
- Using policies and training to prevent harassment
- Understanding the full range of harassment claims that can be brought against an employer
- Workplace bullying: what it is and how to address it
- Colin M. Leonard
Bond, Schoeneck & King, PLLC
10:10 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Concurrent Session 2
Current Tax Issues for Tax Exempt Organizations
- Highlights of New 990 Core Form and Schedules
- Review of Recommended Governance Policies
- FIN 48 Reporting
- Mark Hettler and
Denise A. Villbrandt
Corporate Social Responsibility: The Success of Fries for Friends
- The evolution of the campaign through its 21 year run
- The challenges faced along the way
- How the campaign is a win-win for both organizations
- Surprising positive results from the campaign
- Laura Metallo
What is Capacity and Why Does It Matter?
A Funder's Perspective on Organizational Growth
- How can capacity and capacity building be defined?
- How may an organization determine its capacity needs?
- How can organizations determine what steps may be taken independent of funding?
- What are the benefits of capacity building for the organization and the community?
- Kathryn Goldfarb-Findling
The Gifford Foundation
Concurrent Session 3
"How to Make the Ask"
- The philosophy of philanthropy
- Why do people support nonprofits?
- How can you build an
effective case for support?
- A real-life exercise on MAKING THE ASK!
- Jeff Hoffman
Financing Credit and Capital Expenditures
- What kind of financing do not-for-profits use?
- Who lends to not-for-profits?
- What special kinds of financing are available to not-for-profits?
- What special factors do banks consider when lending to not-for-profits?
- James R. Barger
KeyBank National Association
Campus-Community Engagement: Opportunities to Connect with Central New York Universities and Colleges
Bruce Kingma, Moderator