NACUA webinar: Race-Conscious Admissions and Enrollment: Effective Policies and Practices
October 23, 2018
Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Registration and Lunch: 11:45 a.m., Webinar: Noon - 2 p.m.
Discussion to follow
Bond’s Higher Education practice invites you to a viewing of this important webinar presented by NACUA on recent legal developments on diversity admissions practices that will likely impact colleges and universities across the country.
After viewing the webinar, there will be a discussion on the topic with attendees and members of our Higher Education practice.
In the June 2016 decision in Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin, the Supreme Court upheld colleges' and universities' ability to consider race in admissions decisions. However, recent federal developments, including lawsuits against public and private institutions, investigations by the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the rescission of past guidance by the DOJ and the Department of Education, signal continued heightened scrutiny of such practices.
Topics will include:
- A review of current legal landscape and recent developments.
- Key issues that should be central to diversity-related policy conversations.
- Practical strategies and a framework that colleges and universities can use to satisfy their diversity goals.
- Special considerations, including financial aid and scholarships and graduate and professional schools.
Who should attend:
- College and university counsel who advise institutions on issues related to admissions, enrollment and retention
- Staff from admissions/enrollment management offices, diversity/equal opportunity/inclusion offices, student affairs and others who are involved in student recruitment and retention whether for undergraduate, graduate, or professional programs
- Administrators on campus with responsibilities in these or related areas.
Bond will host this webinar at our offices in Albany, Garden City, New York City, Rochester and Syracuse.