John Godsoe and Daniel Nugent to Discuss Managing the New COBRA Subsidy Under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021
March 29, 2021
By: John C. Godsoe Daniel J. Nugent
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA), signed by President Biden on March 11, 2021, includes a number of provisions designed to assist workers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Among them is a new COBRA premium subsidy that pays for 100% of the applicable COBRA premium for eligible individuals with respect to coverage periods beginning April 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2021. In order to comply with the law, employers will face a number of challenges and additional administrative responsibilities including the identification of premium subsidy-eligible individuals, contacting previously terminated employees not currently enrolled in COBRA but who are eligible for the premium subsidy, revising or supplementing existing COBRA notices, and satisfying new notice requirements.
This lunch and learn webinar, hosted by Central NY SHRM and Bond, Schoeneck, and King will provide attendees with information regarding how to successfully abide by the updated COBRA subsidy requirements, as well as answer the following questions:
- What plans are required to comply with the premium subsidy requirements?
- Are individuals who previously declined COBRA coverage or discontinued COBRA coverage potentially eligible for the subsidy?
- Who is entitled to the premium subsidy?
- What notice requirements apply for individuals who become entitled to elect COBRA between April 1, 2021, and Sept. 30, 2021?
- What notice requirements apply for individuals who became entitled to elect COBRA before April 1, 2021, and to individuals entitled to a second election period?
- What other new notices does ARPA require?
- How are employers and plans reimbursed for the premium subsidy amount?
Zoom Webinar - March 29, 2021
Noon - 1 p.m.
CNY SHRM Members: $25
This program is pending approval for 2 Professional Development Credits (PDCs)