Kathleen represents higher education institutions with regard to land use and zoning, environmental compliance and real property tax assessments. She has broad experience in counseling clients, particularly Higher Education institutions, regarding site development feasibility studies and approvals, environmental quality review matters under the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA), compliance with the State Historic Preservation Act, environmental aspects of real property and business transactions, and environmental litigation matters.
Kathleen also addresses matters involving State and Federal regulatory environmental compliance issues, particularly in the areas of solid and hazardous waste, wetlands, petroleum bulk storage, environmental remediation, and OSHA (including Hazard Communication standards and OSHA training requirements).
Kathleen also has experience in property tax assessment matters representing Higher Education institutions in connection with their real property tax assessment issues and exemptions. She has addressed valuation issues associated with all types of property including private residences, private lakes and lodges, reservoirs, mining operations, commercial rental property and businesses, a wide variety of industrial and manufacturing facilities, and utility properties.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- New York Super Lawyers 2017®, Environmental
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- Editor-in-Chief, Buffalo Environmental Law Journal
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dealing With Special Zoning Issues and Challenging a Zoning Determination, National Business Institute Seminar, June 7, 2017
- Proposed Amendments to the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQR), New York Construction Materials Association 2017 Operations Workshop, February 22, 2017
- Moderator, Legislative and Regulatory Updates, New York State Wetlands Forum 2016 Annual Conference, April 6, 2016
- "2017 Women in Professional Services: Kathleen Bennett of Bond, Schoeneck & King PLLC," New York Real Estate Journal Spotlight, May 16, 2017
- "Army Corps, EPA Seek Information, Issue Guidance Relating to Definition of Waters of the United States," The Forum, New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2003 (vol. 10, no. 1)
- "The Reissuance and Modification of Nationwide Permits," The Forum, New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2002 (vol. 9, no. 1)
- "Supreme Court Rules that Migratory Bird Rule Exceeds the Army Corps of Engineers' Authority under the Clean Water Act," The Forum, New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2001 (vol. 8, no. 1)
- "New York High Court Decides Takings Case," The Forum, New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2000 (vol. 7, no. 1)
- President, Save the County, Inc.
- Vice President and Board Member, Leadership Greater Syracuse
- Board Member, Central New York Land Trust
- Board Member, Cicero Little League
- Board Member, New York State Wetland Forum