Kathleen practices in the areas of environmental and property law. She has over 10 years experience in land use matters including site plan review, special permit review, variances, subdivisions and annexation.
Kathleen also has extensive knowledge of the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA). She has represented both municipalities and project sponsors on a range of projects from small (residential) to large (commercial/institutional).
Kathleen also has particular experience in land use and SEQRA litigation and has been involved in a number of Article 78 proceedings. She has represented municipalities in connection with SEQRA compliance and in defense of Article 78 proceedings challenging certain actions of these municipalities (involving, for example, the expansion of municipal offices).
In addition to land use matters, Kathleen has worked on matters involving state and federal regulatory compliance issues, particularly in the areas of wetlands, historic preservation, and storm water management.
Kathleen also has extensive experience in property tax assessment defense and litigation on behalf of municipalities and school districts. She has addressed valuation issues associated with all types of property including private residences, private lakes and lodges, reservoirs, mining operations, commercial rental property and businesses, a wide variety of industrial and manufacturing facilities and utility properties.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- New York Super Lawyers 2019®, Environmental
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- Editor-in-Chief, Buffalo Environmental Law Journal
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dealing With Special Zoning Issues and Challenging a Zoning Determination, National Business Institute Seminar, June 7, 2017
- Proposed Amendments to the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQR), New York Construction Materials Association 2017 Operations Workshop, February 22, 2017
- Moderator, Legislative and Regulatory Updates, New York State Wetlands Forum 2016 Annual Conference, April 6, 2016
- "2017 Women in Professional Services: Kathleen Bennett of Bond, Schoeneck & King PLLC," New York Real Estate Journal Spotlight, May 16, 2017
- "Army Corps, EPA Seek Information, Issue Guidance Relating to Definition of Waters of the United States," The Forum, New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2003 (vol. 10, no. 1)
- "The Reissuance and Modification of Nationwide Permits," The Forum, New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2002 (vol. 9, no. 1)
- "Supreme Court Rules that Migratory Bird Rule Exceeds the Army Corps of Engineers' Authority under the Clean Water Act," The Forum, New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2001 (vol. 8, no. 1)
- "New York High Court Decides Takings Case," The Forum, New York State Wetlands Forum Newsletter, Winter 2000 (vol. 7, no. 1)
- President, Save the County, Inc.
- Vice President and Board Member, Leadership Greater Syracuse
- Board Member, Central New York Land Trust
- Board Member, Cicero Little League
- Board Member, New York State Wetland Forum