Matt is chair of the firm's public finance practice. He is a business law attorney who concentrates his practice in public finance, commercial lending and corporate transactions, including tax-exempt financing of infrastructure projects for municipalities, hospitals, universities, school districts and other 501(c)(3) organizations.
Matt has served as bond counsel to public agencies, municipalities and school districts, as counsel to municipal bond underwriters, borrower's counsel and trustee's counsel for a variety of tax-exempt and taxable bond financings and project financings.
Matt has extensive experience in the public finance sector representing industrial development agencies, local development corporations, local bond issuers, private business and numerous underwriting and placement firms on tax-exempt and taxable financings including:
- acting as bond counsel to various local development corporations, including in connection with a $262,735,000 bond financing for a hospital system to undertake the construction and equipping of a new hospital facility in Downtown Utica, New York;
- acting as borrower’s counsel for a university in connection with a $420,160,000 bond financing for various capital projects and the refinancing of outstanding university debt;
- acting as borrower’s counsel for a university in connection with a $145,190,000 bond financing for the construction and expansion of a new student center;
- acting as borrower’s counsel for a college in connection with a $80,000,000 bond financing, that included a $40,000,000 publicly offered component and a $40,000,000 privately placed component for the reconstruction, modernization and equipping of various buildings and infrastructure on campus and the refinancing of outstanding college debt;
- acting as borrower’s counsel for a college in connection with a $47,580,000 bond financing for the purposes of the construction, improvement and equipping of an approximately 145,000 sq. ft. addition to its center for integrated sciences and the refinancing of outstanding college debt; and
- acting as underwriter’s counsel to a major investment bank in connection with a $36,660,000 taxable revenue bond issuance that assisted a college in the refinancing of outstanding indebtedness.
As a corporate attorney, Matt has experience in counseling individuals, businesses and various not-for-profit institutions in a broad range of business and transactional matters including contract drafting, review and negotiation. He has represented numerous investment banks in connection with bond and securities financings. Matt is experienced in public and private securities transactions including exempt securities offerings through private placements.
Prior to joining Bond, Matt was a corporate associate with Cahill Gordon & Reindel, LLP, where he represented various public and private corporations and investment banks. His experience included representing corporate clients and investment banks in all aspects of public offerings, private placements and bank financings, as well as representing corporate clients in connection with mergers and acquisitions, tender offers and general corporate governance and disclosure issues.