Mike is the trusted counselor for many businesses, hospitals and colleges, assisting them in complying with the vast and ever-changing collection of applicable federal and state laws and regulations, and he is his clients’ tireless advocate when disputes bring them to court, arbitration or before a federal or state agency.
Mike focuses his practice on representing and advising public and private sector employers in a wide- range of labor and employment matters, including:
- labor arbitration
- wage-and-hour class action litigation
- the defense of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination and ERISA claims
His experience includes the representation of employers in federal and state courts as well as before the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the New York State Division of Human Rights.
Mike also provides colleges and universities advice on policies, procedures and best practices, including providing counsel related to issues arising under FERPA, Title IX and a number of other state and federal laws.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- New York Super Lawyers 2017®, Upstate New York Rising Star, Employment and Labor
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Note and Comment Editor, Buffalo Law Review
- Editor, Intellectual Property Law Journal
- Successfully represented a hospital in a multiple-day labor arbitration hearing. This resulted in the arbitrator upholding the termination of an employee who engaged in severe misconduct.
- Obtained a summary dismissal of a federal court action, where a former employee alleged gender discrimination and the Court agreed with the employer that insufficient evidence existed to support a conclusion that discrimination occurred.
- Developed a college policy for handling sexual misconduct complaints in compliance with Title IX and N.Y. Education Law § 129-B and advised the college on related issues, including investigation and adjudication procedures.
- FERPA Training, New York State Organization of Bursars & Business Administrators 2016 Annual Conference, June 13, 2016
- "Proposed White-Collar Rules May Not Have Intended Effect," Buffalo Law Journal, October 26, 2015
- "Federal, State Approaches to Campus Sexual Assault," Buffalo Law Journal, October 22, 2015
- Board of Directors, United Church Manor