Paul is a business law attorney who provides general counsel to colleges and universities on a wide array of legal issues, including risk management, contract drafting, review and negotiation, and institutional governance.
Paul has particular experience assisting higher education institutions in athletics related matters, including drafting and negotiating agreements for participation in various tournaments and events, Title IX compliance, NCAA compliance and infractions matters, the operation of sports camps, and drafting and negotiating sponsorship agreements.
Paul also has experience in matters relating to abandoned property and unclaimed funds; negotiating franchise agreements for various campus food and beverage offerings, negotiating e-mail outsourcing agreements; drafting and negotiating service agreements with outside vendors; drafting and negotiating contracts with outside entities for the use of institutional facilities; and providing counsel regarding various federal and state regulatory compliance matters, including those under the Clery Act, FERPA, HEOA and NYPMIFA.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- New York Super Lawyers 2016®, Upstate New York Rising Star, Business/Corporate
- New York Super Lawyers 2015®, Upstate New York Rising Star, Business/Corporate
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- ABA/BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Labor and Employment Law
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
- NACUANOTES, Editorial Board Committee Member (2009-present)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- COVID-19 and the Road to Recovery Webinar, Chemung Chamber of Commerce, May 14, 2020
- Choosing the Right Business Entity, Syracuse University, Whitman School of Management Entrepreneurship Bootcamp
- Quoted in "Successful Startups Begin With Planning," Buffalo Law Journal, March 16, 2019
- Paul J. Avery and Mike Glazier, Co-Authors, "O’Bannon v. NCAA: The District Court Decision," National Association of College and University Attorneys - NACUANOTES, October 6, 2014
- Board Member and Secretary, InfoTech WNY, 2019 - present
- Member, SUNY Buffalo Law Alumni Association Central New York Chapter Steering Committee
- Volunteer Judge, Syracuse University, Whitman School of Management Panasci Business Plan Competition