Blaine is an intellectual property and technology attorney whose practice focuses on patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. He is a registered patent attorney and has extensive experience prosecuting both patents and trademarks at the United States Patent and Trademark Office and registering copyrights with the United States Copyright Office.
Blaine works closely with inventors to prepare patent applications in the fields of biotechnology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology, molecular biology, chemistry and software applications, among others. His practice also includes preparing opinions of counsel relating to freedom to operate, patentability of inventions, patent validity and patent infringement. Blaine is also experienced in litigation involving all aspects of intellectual property in both administrative proceedings and in federal court.
As a frequent contributor to the Higher Education IP Law Report, Blaine examines and evaluates the latest developments in the field of intellectual property in order to assist universities and other institutions of higher education as they identify, procure and license their intellectual property.
Prior to joining Bond, Blaine obtained a Ph.D. from SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse where his research was in the fields of biochemistry, genetics, cell biology and molecular biology. He served as a Research Assistant to Syracuse University Angela S. Cooney Professor of Law Lisa A. Dolak with whom he co-authored two articles relating to the portrayal of the United States Patent System in the media.
Blaine also has extensive experience regarding the many ethical, legal and social implications and issues associated with personal genomics. He is the author of The Genetic Genealogist, a leading blog in the area of direct-to-consumer genetic testing, and is a member of the Personal Genomes Project 1,000.
Recently Issued Patents
- 8,118,880 Coloring composition containing L-DOPA and L-arginine
- 8,086,675 Generating a fingerprint of a bit sequence
- 8,084,140 Silver platelets comprising palladium
- 8,060,820 Collaborative editing of a document
- 8,056,774 Fluid dispensing system
- 8,053,744 Location analysis using nucleic acid-labeled tags
- 8,032,523 Method and system for data migration
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- New York Super Lawyers 2017®, Upstate New York Rising Star, Intellectual Property
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- New York State Bar Association
- Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Executive Committee, Board of Directors; Co-Chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- Order of the Coif, Syracuse University College of Law Chapter
- Editor, Journal of Genetic Genealogy, 2009-Present
- Notes and Comments Editor, Syracuse Science & Technology Reporter
- Inspirational Speaker and Law Roundtable Facilitator, Northern New York STEP and CSTEP 21st Annual Career Exploration Symposium, February 11, 2017
- Speaker and Panelist, Southern California Genealogy Society Jamboree, Burbank, CA, June 5-8, 2014
- Social Media: Implications for Intellectual Property Law, New York State Science & Technology Law Center, 2010
- Blaine T. Bettinger, George R. McGuire, "How the Supreme Court Got It Right in Mayo v. Prometheus," The SciTech Lawyer, Volume 10, Issue 1, Fall 2013
- Bettinger, Co-Author, "The United States Patent System in the Media Mirror," Syracuse Law Review, 2008, Vol. 58, No. 3. Selected for inclusion in the 2009 PATENT LAW REVIEW, an annual anthology published by Thomson Reuters (West)
- Bettinger, Co-Author, "eBay and the Blackberry®: A Media Coverage Case Study," Akron Intellectual Property Law Journal, 2008, Vol. 2, No. 1
- "Pencils, White-Out, and Loose Leaf Paper: Student Researchers' Need for Basic Intellectual Property Instruction," New York State Science and Technology Center at Syracuse University College of Law Newsletter, March 2008
- Board Member, Sarah Loguen Child Care Center, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Board Member, The New York Genealogical & Biographical Society