Brian is managing member of the firm's Syracuse office and chair of its litigation department. He represents clients in complex business and commercial litigation in federal and state courts as well as in arbitration.
Brian represents clients in the banking, communications, construction, insurance and securities industries and also regularly represents governmental and educational institutions. He handles a variety of matters for clients including contract disputes, securities fraud litigation, intellectual property claims, employment discrimination claims, litigation relating to non-compete agreements and unfair competition, claims under ERISA, insurance coverage disputes and construction disputes. Brian represents clients in a variety of contexts in bankruptcy adversary proceedings. He also frequently conducts arbitrations before FINRA (formerly NASD and NYSE), the American Arbitration Association and JAMS.
Prior to joining the firm, Brian clerked for the Hon. Frederick J. Scullin, Jr., U.S. District Court Northern District of New York.
Events and Webinars
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021, Commercial Litigation
- New York Super Lawyers 2020®, Business Litigation (listed for more than 10 years)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- New York State Bar Association, Past Member Executive Committee, Trial Lawyers Section; Federal and Commercial Litigation Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Past Member, Board of Directors
- Trustee Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association and CLE Co-Chair
- Mediator, ADR Mandatory Mediation Program, Northern District of New York
- Basic Lessons on Ethics & Civility CLE, New York State Bar Association, 2018
- Remedies and Damages in Commercial Litigation CLE, Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association, 2017
- Representing Your Client in the Northern District of New York CLE, Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association, 2015
- Bond, Schoeneck & King's In-House Counsel CLE Series: Defensibly Downsizing Your Data, February 27, 2014
- Brian J. Butler, Suzanne M. Messer and Clifford G. Tsan, "E-Discovery and Information Management - Can Clicking "Like" Make or Break a Lawsuit?," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, April 2016
- Trustee, Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association
- Co-Chair, CLE Committee, Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association