Monica is the former Interim Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Rutgers University. Her responsibilities at Rutgers, with approximately 65,000 students and 20,000 employees, encompassed the full range of legal and compliance issues facing a state-wide research university with major professional schools and 29 labor unions. As a key member on the President's Cabinet she was responsible for advising the President and members of the Boards on all legal issues, and supervising a staff of 18 lawyers.
Monica was involved with the legal issues relating to faculty and staff, athletics, student affairs, campus safety, cybersecurity, collective bargaining relationships and overseeing all litigation. She was the principal counsel during the Title IX Athletics Compliance Review by the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights. She also oversaw dozens of internal investigations involving employment equity, workplace violence, and sexual assault. Monica’s high-profile matters included a student suicide related to cyberbullying, faculty misconduct and whistleblower cases. Monica advised the University President in establishing the Tyler Clementi Center at Rutgers to promote the study of bullying prevention and LGBTQ resources on college campuses.
Practicing in the area of higher education law since 1990, Monica is a frequent presenter at National Association of College and University Attorneys national conferences and she has been widely published on a variety of higher education topics. Previously, she was employed as Executive Deputy General Counsel at the State University of New York; Associate General Counsel at Cornell University; and Assistant General Counsel at Barnard College.
- Hot Legal Issues in Higher Education, Higher Education Leadership Symposium, February 9, 2018
- Panel Member, Top Trends and Emerging Issues in Higher Education Discrimination Law, NACUA CLE Workshop, March 29, 2017
- What Legal Counsel Wants You to Know from Day One, American Association of Colleges of Nursing 2016 Fall Executive Development Series, November 16, 2016
- Managing the Complexities of Investigations, CUPA-HR Annual Conference and Expo 2016, September 25-27, 2016
- Student Disciplinary Issues, NACUA Annual Conference, June 25, 2016
- Panel Member, Managing Privilege, Privacy and Other Complexities in an Investigation and Afterwards, NACUA 2016 CLE Workshop, March 31, 2016
- When Bullies Move Online: Dealing with Cyberbullying and Electronic Harassment on Campus, CLE Workshop of NACUA, March 2015
- What We Can Learn from the Tyler Clementi Tragedy, International Bullying Prevention Association Annual Conference, November 2012
- Cyberbullying on the Quad, Annual Conference of NACUA, June 2012
- Rutgers' Response to the Tyler Clementi Tragedy, U.S. Department of Education, April 2011
- Editorial Board, Journal of College and University Law, 2016-2017
- Board Member, NACUA, 2011-2014
- Co-Chair, Working Group, Diversity and Civil Rights, NACUA 2015 Annual Conference
- Chair, Program Committee for NACUA Conference on Higher Education Employment Issues, 3/14
- Chair, Committee on Legal Education, NACUA, 2012-2013; Vice Chair, Committee on Legal Education, NACUA, 2005-2006; 2009-2010; 2010-2011
- Chair, Program Committee for NACUA Conference "Responding to Sexual Violence on Campus: OCR Dear Colleague Letter Compliance," 2/11
- Chair, Program Committee for NACUA Conference "Setting Up International Programs," 2011
- Chair, Advisory Board Council on Diversity and Inclusivity, NACUA, 2009-2010; 2010-2011
- Chair, Virtual Seminars Subcommittee, Committee on Legal Education, NACUA, 2009-2010