Bob is an environmental and energy attorney who assists municipal, industrial, commercial, and institutional clients to resolve New York State and federal regulatory compliance and enforcement concerns.
He counsels municipal clients regarding site development and environmental reviews under the State Environmental Quality Review Act, issues relating to solid waste landfill siting and closure, petroleum and chemical substance issues, including remediation, safety and health issues and environmental litigation matters.
Bob regularly provides advice on the legal and financial structure of brownfield redevelopment projects, and works with clients to return contaminated properties to productive use under the Brownfield Cleanup Program. He represents clients under the Voluntary Cleanup Program, as well as the State Superfund Program, and frequently speaks to organizations regarding the New York State Brownfield Law. Bob also counsels clients regarding air pollution compliance requirements, such as permitting and new source review, and compliance with the federal Clean Air Act. He has negotiated numerous administrative orders on consent to resolve alleged environmental violations, including orders with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Aviation Administration, and New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Bob has also structured voluntary disclosures of environmental violations under state and federal audit policies to avoid and/or mitigate the imposition of administrative penalties.
Bob assists clients with matters involving the siting of new electric generating facilities, electric and natural gas transmission facilities, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission licensing issues, and negotiation of electricity, steam and natural gas purchase agreements. He practices extensively before the New York State Public Service Commission.
Events and Webinars
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021, Environmental Law (listed for more than 5 years)
- Best Lawyers’ 2016 Syracuse Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year
- Chambers USA 2016, Recognized Practitioner
- New York Super Lawyers 2020®, Environmental
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section, Executive Committee; Co-Chair of the Air Quality Committee
- Member, Former Officer and Former Director, Central New York Chapter of the Air & Waste Management Association
- Lautenberg Chemical Safety Act / EPA Update, New York State Chemical Council 2017 Annual Policy and Legislative Meeting, January 24, 2017
- Navigating Environmental Due Diligence: Legal Considerations, New York State Commercial Association of Realtors, 2016
- Legal Perspective: Emerging EHS Issues, MACNY Safety & Environmental Health Council, 2015
- Outgreening for Economic Advantage, Strategies Beyond NetZero, Central New York Air & Waste Management Association, 2011
- What Every Lawyer Should Know About Climate Change Law and Sustainability, In-Firm Presentation, 2009
- Regulatory Approvals, Implications & Economic Development Incentives for Renewable Energy, Rochester/Genesee Finger Lakes Region Task Force, 2009
- "Obtain Financial Assistance to Install Solar and Wind Energy Systems," Central New York Business Journal, May 2, 2014
- Advisory Board Member, Onondaga Lake Conservation Corps
- Former President, Board of Directors, Contact Community Services, Inc., 2009-2012
- Former President, Board of Directors, Mental Health Association of New York State - CNY Chapter, 2010-2012
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Onondaga Historical Association, 2004-2012
- Former Board of Trustees, Albany Law School of Union University National Alumni Association