Phil is a trusted advisor to college and university athletics departments throughout the United States, working with programs at all NCAA levels, from major Division I programs to Division II and III programs, to achieve their goals. He represents institutions in the negotiation of a variety of contractual arrangements critical to their athletics business operations, including:
- employment contracts for coaches, athletic directors and other personnel;
- multimedia rights agreements;
- shoe and apparel contracts;
- pouring rights agreements;
- facility naming rights;
- major sponsorships;
- trademark licensing;
- event participation agreements;
- facilities use agreements with outside parties; and
- a variety of other athletics business contractual arrangements.
Phil also works regularly with athletics fundraising and development personnel, and assists institutions in structuring agreements with donors to support athletics operations. In addition, he has extensive experience in student affairs matters, and regularly counsels institutions in the areas of student discipline, disability accommodations and education record confidentiality.
Phil’s practical advice reflects his more than 25 years of experience in the field, taking account of not only the legal considerations, but also the financial and public relations implications of particular circumstances at both private and public institutions.