Phil is co-chair of the firm's cybersecurity and data privacy practice and provides general counseling and representation to colleges and universities throughout the United States on a variety of legal issues.
In particular, Phil has experience with issues involving higher education institutional records and data privacy and confidentiality, including:
- representing numerous institutions in connection with federal and state regulatory compliance investigations and reviews;
- reviewing internal information systems policies and procedures regarding data security and “acceptable use” of information;
- reviewing the design of information systems and policies which address data confidentiality under FERPA and other statutory requirements;
- dealing with the management of legal and public relations consequences of inadvertent disclosures of personally identifiable information;
- providing counseling on internal remedial measures; and
- coordinating required filings and disclosures.