Fred J. M. Price
Fred is an intellectual property and technology attorney who concentrates his practice on intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. He is a registered patent attorney and has extensive experience prosecuting patents and trademarks at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and registering copyrights with the United States Copyright Office. Fred works closely with inventors to prepare patent applications and to prepare responses to Office Actions in the fields of nanotechnology, medical devices, fuel cells, alternative and renewable energy, mechanical devices, particle and gas filters, chemistry, entropic activity detection and monitoring systems and computer software systems, among others. He has also worked closely with inventors in reexamination proceedings at the USPTO.
Fred's transactional work includes the preparation of opinions of counsel including novelty (patentability), invalidity and right-to-use/non-infringement/freedom-to-operate opinions. He also drafts license agreements, assignment agreements, master service agreements, distribution agreements and sponsored research agreements, among others.
Fred's litigation work includes the preparation of cease and desist letters and responses to cease and desist letters. He represents or has represented clients in numerous patent, trademark and copyright litigation matters in federal district court and before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) on matters involving computer software systems, ground fault circuit interrupters, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, food containers and fishing line products. Fred also represents clients in Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings, and in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings.
Fred is a member of the firm's e-discovery and information management practice, which acts as a resource to the firm and to the firm's clients with all phases of the everchanging landscape of the e-discovery process. He is also a contributor to the firm's intellectual property and technology practice's newsletter.
Prior to joining Bond, Fred was an intellectual property associate with the New York City office of Fulbright & Jaworski LLP (Fulbright). While at Fulbright, he prosecuted patents related to cancer therapies and diagnostics, assisted with a patent interference relating to micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS), assisted with the defense of an international pharmaceutical company in a dispute over a cancer therapy drug and conducted due diligence and reviewed patents in response to proposed mergers.
Prior to attending law school, Fred worked at a research company in Boulder, Colorado, where he conducted research on the heterogeneous catalysis of a wide variety of environmental and industrial processes including exhaust gas purification. He also previously conducted chemical research on new consumer products.
Recently Issued Patents
- 8,214,177 Optimized stochastic resonance signal detection method
- 8,197,558 Supercritical diesel fuel composition, combustion process and fuel system
- 8,137,380 Closure device, deployment apparatus, and method of deploying the same
- 8,040,254 Method and system for controlling and adjusting traffic light timing patterns
- 8,033,576 Pipe guide for expansion joint
- 7,998,259 Combination high efficiency particle and gas filter
- 7,940,715 Entropic based activity passive detection and monitoring system
- 7,904,209 Open web services-based indoor climate control system
Honors and Affiliations
- Listed in:
- New York Super Lawyers 2014®
2014 Upstate New York Rising Star, Intellectual Property
2013 Upstate New York Rising Star, Intellectual Property
- New York Super Lawyers 2014®
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers ("ASHRAE")
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers ("IEEE")
- International Society of Automation ("ISA")
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- Order of the Coif
- Executive Editor, Syracuse Law Review