Christa assists employers with their labor and employment issues in a manner that is practical, cost-effective and which is sensitive to the culture of the workforce and the client’s individual goals.
Christa counsels clients with respect to day-to-day human resources management and regularly handles various matters, such as:
- internal investigations
- employment discrimination litigation
- customized in-house workplace diversity/ harassment training
- unemployment insurance
- FMLA and New York’s Paid Family Leave compliance
- Title IX compliance
- Counseling on employee discipline/discharge issues
- wage and hour issues
- restrictive covenants (including non-compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements)
- consumer directed personal assistance program compliance
- workforce reductions
- student and employee disability accommodation issues
- developing personnel policies and employment agreements
She also represents management in collective bargaining, grievance proceedings, labor arbitration hearings, and union organizing campaigns. Christa counsels public sector clients on Civil Service Law matters and in interest arbitration proceedings. She has successfully defended clients in unfair labor practice proceedings, collective and class actions under the FLSA, retaliation claims and all types of employment discrimination litigation before the New York State Division of Human Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), as well as in state and federal court.
Christa also regularly appears before the New York State Department of Labor, the U.S. Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), New York's Public Employment Relations Board (PERB), the New York State Department of Education (SED), the U.S. Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and federal and state courts. Her practice extends across several key industries including health care, higher education, public school districts and municipalities. Christa’s practice also includes in-house labor and employment training for employers.
Christa is also a member of the firm’s school districts practice group. In addition to providing general labor and employment advice and counseling, she advises school districts regarding tenure issues, layoffs and recalls, and employee discipline.