Virginia chaired the firm’s environmental and energy practice from 2000 to 2016 and was a member of the firm’s management committee from 2014 to 2015 and 2004 to 2005.
She is experienced in advising clients on state and federal regulatory compliance issues, particularly in the areas of air and water pollution control and waste management. Virginia has experience in the requirements promulgated under the federal Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990, for example, permitting strategies, negotiation of special conditions establishing emission caps, emission reduction credits (ERCs), Title V applicability and compliance certification assessments, operational flexibility and new source review issues. She has counseled clients involved in power generation and development projects on environmental impact review under Article X of the Public Service Law, air permit/compliance matters, prevention of significant deterioration (PSD) and Acid Rain program applicability, Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) requirements, and the use of alternative fuels. She advises landfills and gas-to-energy facilities on applicability and compliance matters related to the Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) program.
Virginia has managed significant RCRA corrective action and state and federal Superfund matters, including the negotiation of RCRA corrective measures orders, remedial investigation/remedial design consent orders, and access easements. She has also advised clients extensively on real estate transactions involving contaminated properties, including relative to the opportunities under New York's Brownfield Cleanup Program. Virginia regularly counsels both municipal clients and developers on compliance with environmental impact reviews under the State Environmental Quality Review Act and the National Environmental Policy Act.
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2019, Environmental Law (listed for 10 years)
- Best Lawyers' 2019 Syracuse Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers' 2017 Syracuse Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers' 2013 Syracuse Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year
- Chambers USA 2019, Environmental
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Energy, Environmental, & Natural Resources
- New York Super Lawyers 2018®, Environmental (listed for more than 10 years)
- 2014 Top 25 Female Upstate New York Super Lawyers
- 2013 Top 25 Female Upstate New York Super Lawyers
- Fellow, American College of Environmental Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section, Past Chair, 2004-2005; Member, Executive Committee; Co-Chair, Global Climate Change Committee
- Central New York Chapter of the Air & Waste Management Association, Founding Chair, 1995-1996
- ESF College Foundation, Inc., State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Emeritus Board Member and Past President, 2005-2007
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Syracuse City Ballet, Grand Jeté Award, 2017
- WCNY, Women Who Make America Award, 2015
- YWCA, Academy of Diversity Achievers, 2015
- Nano Utica Initiative, 20th Annual Joint Technical Conference of the CNY Chapters of the Air & Waste Management Association and American Industrial Hygiene Association, March 22, 2016
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong? Assessing Environmental Compliance, Bond, Schoeneck & King CLE Program, December 9, 2105
- Panel Member, Gaming Casinos: Learn from the Past to Prepare for the Future, New York State Bar Association's Annual Meeting, January 30, 2015
- Legal Regulatory Update, Central New York Chapter Air & Waste Management Association, December 16, 2014
- Panel Member, Legal Perspective: Environmental Auditing, O’Brien & Gere and Bond, Schoeneck & King Seminar, Changes in the Air – An Update on Emerging Air Quality Regulations, March 21, 2013
- Post-Nutrient Removal Upgrades and Operations, sponsored by O'Brien & Gere for Wastewater Treatment Professionals, October 25, 2011
- Board Member and Past President, 2013-2015, Syracuse City Ballet, Inc.
- Secretary and Board Member, Abby Lane Housing Corporation, 2015-present, serving the housing needs of students at SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry, Syracuse