Hermes is co-chair of the firm's health care practice. He practices primarily in the areas of health law, administrative and regulatory law, related litigation and governmental representation.
Hermes has a particular affinity for assisting clients as they chart a course through unsettled law. He has handled numerous matters in health care fraud and abuse in the courts and in administrative hearings. Hermes has represented providers before and against the Attorney General's Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, the State Office of the Medicaid Inspector General and the HHS Office of Inspector General, the Office of Professional Medical Conduct and the Office of Professional Disclosure.
Hermes has advised and represented health care providers on board governance, statutory and regulatory compliance, surveys and audits and fraud and abuse matters. He has established new health care providers, and represented providers through mergers and acquisitions. Hermes also has represented clients in a number of sanction and enforcement actions, and in trials, including defense of actions brought by the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, and in administrative proceedings in the State Education Department and State Department of Health. He also represents physicians and other licensed professionals in professional discipline matters.
Prior to joining Bond, Schoeneck & King in 1990, Hermes was Assistant Counsel to Governor Mario Cuomo, where he handled health and human services matters. On behalf of the Governor, he negotiated landmark health care legislation including the AIDS Confidentiality Law, the Do Not Resuscitate Law, and the Indoor Clean Air Act. Before coming to Albany, Hermes was a trial attorney in the Civil Division of the United States Justice Department in Washington D.C. He began his career as law clerk to the Hon. John MacKenzie, then Chief Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia.
Hermes has lectured and published articles in the Health Law Journal, Government, Law and Policy Journal, Albany Law Review and the New York Law Journal.
Health Law Wire
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2019, Administrative / Regulatory Law, Health Care Law (listed for 10 years)
- Best Lawyers 2013 Albany Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- New York Super Lawyers 2017®, Administrative Law
- Committee on Character and Fitness, New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department
- American Bar Association, Member, Health Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Treasurer, Health Law Section; Vice President, Third District, Executive Committee, 2007-2011; Chair, Committee on Mental Retardation and Developmental Services Providers; Chair, Legislative Policy Committee; Member, House of Delegates
- Albany County Bar Association
- Capital District Black and Hispanic Bar Association
- American Health Lawyer's Association
- Order of the Coif
- Editor, Syracuse Law Review, 1980-1981
- New York State Paid Family Leave Program: Guidance for Home Care Providers, Webinar, January 16, 2018
- Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services (CDPAS): Ensuring Compliance and Minimizing Your Risk, Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Association of NYS Annual Conference, October 26, 2017
- Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services (CDPAS): Ensuring Compliance and Minimizing Your Risk, NYS Health Care Providers Association, HCP Conference, October 25, 2017
- Keynote Speaker: Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services (CDPAS): Ensuring Compliance and Minimizing Your Risk, HHAeXchange Business Summit, October 17, 2017
- Consumer Directed Personal Assistance (CDPA) Program, Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Association of New York State, May 19, 2017
- Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services, NYHCP, February 27, 2017
- Complying with Executive Order 38: What Home Care Providers Must Do NOW!, NYS Association of Health Care Providers Webinar, April 8, 2015
- Impact of the Department of Labor’s Amendment of the Companionship Exemption Upon the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program, Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Association of New York State, Annual Meeting, October 10, 2013
- Board of Directors, New York Bar Foundation
- Salvation Army, Capital District Task Force