Jonathan is a trial attorney who also represents school districts and private schools in various matters. He has represented districts in dozens of impartial hearings for students with disabilities, and in appeals of such cases to the Office of State Review. Jonathan has defended school districts in IDEA and Section 504 in cases in federal district court and on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals.
He has represented districts in numerous investigations by the Office of Civil Rights of the United States Department of Education and by the New York State Department of Education.
Jonathan has also handled numerous cases regarding student discipline, including appeals to the New York Commissioner of Education and challenges of discipline in the courts. He represented the district in Wisniewski v. Weedsport Central School District, 494 F.3d 34 (2d Cir. 2007), in which the court upheld a suspension of a student for posting online threats against a teacher. Jonathan represented the district in Kearney v. Ithaca City School District, 19 N.Y.3d 481 (2012), in which the Court of Appeals held that the Division of Human Rights lacked jurisdiction over claims by students against public school districts.
Events and Webinars
Honors & Affiliations
- Listed in:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021, Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Banking and Finance; Litigation - Labor and Employment; Litigation and Controversy - Tax (listed for 10 years)
- Best Lawyers’ 2016 Syracuse Litigation - Banking and Finance Lawyer of the Year
- Chambers USA 2020, Litigation: General Commercial
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rated
- New York Super Lawyers 2020®, General Litigation (listed for more than 10 years)
- New York State Bar Association, Trial Lawyers, Commercial and Federal Litigation Sections
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Order of the Coif
- Editor-in-Chief, Cornell Law Review
- Mediator, ADR Mandatory Mediation Program, Northern District of New York
- Quoted in 5 Tips for Avoiding Awkward Video-Conferencing Malfunctions in Courts, Depositions, Law.com, November 20, 2020
- Review: Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts, 4th Edition, Onondaga County Bar Reporter, June 2016
- Moderator, Restrictive Covenants: The Good, the Bad and What the Future Holds, NYSBA Webinar, June 17, 2020
- Class Action Refund Lawsuits Against Higher Educational Institutions, CICU Webinar, May 14, 2020
- Chancellor, Episcopal Diocese of Central New York
- Vestry Warden, St. Peter's Episcopal Church